Chocolate Egg Nog
- 2/3 c
- (150 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 c
- (125 ml) high quality cocoa powder
- 4 c
- (1 l) milk
- cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp
- (2 ml) nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 tsp
- (2 ml) ground mace
- 1/2 c
- (125 ml) spiced rum (optional)
- 1 c
- (250 ml) 35% whipping cream (optional)
- ground cinnamon (optional)
How to Make Chocolate Egg Nog
- 1In a large saucepan, whisk together eggs,sugar and cocoa powder until well combined. Whisk in milk.
Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, mace and cloves; place over medium heat and whisk gently for about 10 minutes or until mixture has small bubbles around the edge of pan and thermometer reaches 160 F (71 C).
- 2Remove from heat and pour through fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Whisk in rum (if desired) and cover with plastic wrap, directly on surface, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- 3In a bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Dollop each cup of egg nog with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon or chocolate shavings, if desired.