The Basset Hound Cocktail (Delaware)
- 1 oz. homemade quince syrup*
- 1 oz. brandy
- 1 oz. heavy cream
- 1 bar spoon frangelico
- freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- 2 pounds quince, peeled, seeded, and cut into quarters
- 5 cups water
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup sugar
How to Make The Basset Hound Cocktail (Delaware)
- 1First - prepare the quince syrup.
In a large saucepan, combine the quince, water, honey, and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- 2Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the quince are fork tender, 45-50 minutes.
- 3Let cool slightly and strain off the syrup. There should be about 1 ¼ cup of syrup. If not, add water or gently reduce over low heat.
- 4Reserve the poached quince for another use (serve with your morning oatmeal or with pound cake and whipped cream) and refrigerate the syrup until ready to use.
- 5COCKTAIL - Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add quince syrup, brandy, heavy cream, and Frangelico. Shake until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and serve.