Mama's Lemon Custard Delight
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This amazing dessert is so rich and sweet that you can practically taste the love that's been handed down through the generations. One bite of this custard and all will be right with your world... it's THAT good. The Test Kitchen
How to Make Mama's Lemon Custard Delight
- CRUST: Finely crush 1/2 box of vanilla wafers. Then coarsely chop the remaining 1/2 of the box of vanilla wafers.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt 1/2 stick of pure butter.
- Using a mixing bowl, mix the crushed wafers and butter together, then spread evenly over the bottom of a 13x9 glass pan.
- Place in refrigerator for 15-30 min. to allow the crust to set.
- FILLING: Open all 5 cans of the sweet condensed milk. Pour all the milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla flavoring. Gradually stir in the lemon juice until completely blended (you may not use all of it).
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Stir in the egg yolks. The mixture should be slightly stiffening up by now.
- Once the filling is complete, line the sides of the glass pan with whole vanilla wafers.
- Now pour in the lemon filling in the pan.
- Once the pan is full with the lemon filling, crush a few vanilla wafers on top of the lemon custard for decoration.
- Cover with SaranWrap to prevent a film from developing while chilling in the fridge.
- Place the lemon custard dessert in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours or until set. Enjoy!