Grandma’s twisted French toast or ‘frig?nele’
Ramona's Cuisine -
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·1 tbsp brown sugar
·220 ml whole milk
·2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
·1 tsp rum or vanilla extract
·1 pinch salt
·6 slices of brioche
·1-2 tbsp butter
·1 tbsp rapeseed oil
·1 tsp icing sugar
·1-2 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
·1/4 tsp cinnamon optional
·some fruits of your choice optional
How to Make Grandma’s twisted French toast or ‘frig?nele’
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together with the milk, sugar, rum or vanilla, salt, and cinnamon if you choose to use.
- Slice the brioche loaf into 2 cm (3/4 inch) thick slices and deep into the egg mixture, until both sides are well coated. Do not allow it to soak as it will make the bread way too soggy.
- Place a large frying pan or a skillet over medium heat with approximately 1 tsp of butter and 1 tsp of rapeseed.
- Place the egg coated slices in skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Add a little more butter and a drizzle of oil while cooking if needed.
- Remove the cooked golden in colour slices and set aside until all finished.
- Sprinkle the finished slices with some more unrefined sugar ( I used some icing sugar this time) and top with some fruits if you like, or with slightly warmed up maple syrup or honey, whatever you fancy. Adjust the level of sweetness as you desire but definitely go for a generous sprinkle of sunflower seeds