Be My Valentine Napoleons
Winner of the Show the Love Recipe Contest Contest
Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a beautiful dessert for someone special. Cutting hearts out of the puff pastry is easy and the final outcome is very impressive. The filling is so creamy I could eat that alone with a spoon! The cranberry relish is sweet and sour, and the nuts add an occasional crunch. Loved chocolate drizzled on top. It's the perfect final touch! The Test Kitchen
1/2 mediumthin-skinned orange
6 ozfresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cgranulated sugar
1/4 ctoasted pecans, finely chopped
1/2 tspfresh grated ginger
8 ozmascarpone cheese
1 cplus 3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided use
6 Tbsppowdered sugar plus more for garnish
1/2 pkg(17.3-ounce) puff pastry sheet
1 ozdark chocolate, coarsely chopped
How to Make Be My Valentine Napoleons
- Heat oven to 400 Degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash and dry the orange half, then coarsely chop it.
- In a bowl of food processor, pulse orange and cranberries until finely chopped but not pureed. Transfer to bowl; stir in granulated sugar, pecans, and ginger. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Beat mascarpone on medium speed of mixer until soft. Add 1 cup of cream, 6 tablespoons powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Refrigerate until needed.
- Thaw pastry sheet as directed on package. Unfold thawed pastry on lightly floured surface and lightly flour the top surface. Roll out to an 11x11-inch square.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out five large (4-inch), five medium (3-inch) and five small (1 1/2-inch) hearts. Cut out extra small hearts with any remaining dough to use as garnish.
- Place all the hearts on the prepared baking sheet; bake for about 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons cream in microwave for 30 seconds; add chocolate and stir to melt. Microwave for 10 seconds at a time if needed to fully melt chocolate.
- To assemble pastries, split the large and medium hearts in half with a serrated knife. Pipe (or spoon) filling into bottoms of hearts, add a spoonful of cranberry relish and finish with the top hearts. Add a layer of filling and relish to top of the large heart; set the filled medium heart on top. Then add cream and relish to the top of the medium heart and finish with the small heart.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce over the pastry. Repeat with remaining hearts. Extra small hearts can be dusted with powdered sugar and used as a garnish.