Strawberry Ice Cream
3 c(1 lb.) fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
2 Tbspgranulated sugar
1 can(s)(14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 smallpinch fleur de sel (substitute ground sea salt)
2 ccold 35% heavy cream
1/2 tsppowdered sugar
How to Make Strawberry Ice Cream
- Place prepared strawberries in a bowl and add granulated sugar; stir to combine and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF while strawberries are macerating.
- Using a slotted spoon, place strawberries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; keep juice for later. Transfer to the preheated oven and reduce heat to 250ºF roast for 50 minutes.
- About 20 minutes later, turn pan around and roast for another 30 minutes. When time is up, remove from the heat and toss; return to the oven for 15 minutes and increase the heat to 350ºF for the remaining time.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the strawberries and their juice to the bowl of a food processor including the one earlier with the sugar; process until smooth, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and fleur de sel; whisk until well blended and set aside.
- In the chilled bowl of a stand mixer, add cold heavy cream and powdered sugar. Using the whisk attachment (chilled as well), process until stiff peaks form
- Scoop half the whipped cream into strawberry mixture and fold in gently. Add the strawberry mixture to the remaining whipped cream and fold in until well mixed and fairly smooth. Pour mixture into a 9 x 5 x 3 inch chilled metal loaf pan, cover with plastic then wrap with foil; transfer to the freezer until hard, about 6 to 8 hours.