Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
If you don't have Vanilla Sugar, regular sugar will work.
- 3 c
- half and half
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 8 large
- egg yolks
- 1 1/8 c
- vanilla sugar
- 3 tsp
- vanilla extract
How to Make Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1Place the half & half and cream in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Bring mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from heat.
- 2In a bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- 3Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the cream mixture has been added. Pour the tempered eggs back into the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F.
- 4Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperture for 30-40 minutes. Stir in vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store 4-8 hours.
- 5Pour well cooled mixture into an ice cream maker and proceed according to manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3-4 hours to allow ice cream to harden.