Apple Pie Sandwiches
2 capples-peeled and diced
1/2 cplus 1 tbls. sugar-divided
1 1/2 tspground cinnamon
1/4 tspground nutmeg
2 tsplemon juice, fresh
12 slicewhite bread
2 tsppure vanilla extract
·confectioners' sugar-for dusting
How to Make Apple Pie Sandwiches
- In a saucepan, cook apples and water over medium heat for about 10 min. or until apples are tender.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg;stir into apple mixture.
- Bring to a boil;cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
- Spread six slices of bread with 1/3 cup filling each;top with remaining bread.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining sugar.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture in egg mixture.
- Cook on a lightly greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides.
- Dust with confectioners sugar if desired.
- Smother with maple syrup if desired!