Bacon Apple Pie
Does a recipe with the words "bacon dust" make your mouth water? If so, this pie, which is full of bacon at every turn, including — that's right — bacon dust rolled into the crust, should have you drooling. This salty and sweet combination might seem a bit odd, but one bite will have you hooked.
- 9 slice
- thick applewood-smoked bacon, divided
- 1 pkg
- refrigerated piecrust
- 5 small
- granny smith apples (yields 3 heaping cups, sliced)
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- pure maple syrup, divided
- 1 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
How to Make Bacon Apple Pie
- 1For bacon lattice:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Cut six pieces of bacon in half lengthwise (to create long strips).
- 3Weave bacon strips together to create a basket-weave pattern on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet (with six horizontal strips and six vertical strips large enough to cover pie).
- 4Top with another piece of foil, then place another baking sheet on top to weigh down the bacon.
- 5Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until bacon is brown and slightly crisp.
- 6Check lattice after about 15 minutes. If bacon is cooking too fast on one side, rotate pan or flip over, as needed.)
- 7When done, carefully transfer to paper towels to drain. Reserve.
- 8For bacon dust:
With remaining three slices of bacon, chop in a small dice and fry in a large pan.
- 9Cook until bacon is very crispy, then drain on paper towels and let cool.
- 10Reserve one tablespoon of bacon grease in pan.
- 11Once the bacon bits are cool, place two tablespoons in a grinder (use a coffee grinder designated for spices) and run until the bacon is ground to a fine dust.
- 12Reserve remaining bacon.
- 13For piecrust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 14Sprinkle flour on counter and lay out pie dough.
- 15Sprinkle bacon dust over top of crust and press in with rolling pin.
- 16Press dough into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom, tucking excess dough inside rim to create a thicker edge.
- 17Press buttered foil into pie crust and fill with beans or weights.
- 18Blind bake for 20 minutes, then carefully remove foil, prick with a fork and bake 10 more minutes.
- 19Remove from oven and let cool.
- 20For filling:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- 21Peel, quarter and core the apples, then cut each quarter into four slices.
- 22In the same pan you cooked the bacon, heat the tablespoon of bacon grease.
- 23Add apples and remaining bacon bits.
- 24Sauté over medium heat until softened, about six to eight minutes, then add sugar and cinnamon.
- 25Cook for about three to five more minutes until mixture becomes syrupy. Remove from heat.
- 26Brush the inside of the piecrust lightly with about one tablespoon maple syrup.
- 27Fill the crust with the apple mixture and dot top with butter. Bake for 15 minutes.
- 28While the pie is baking, coat both sides of the bacon lattice liberally with remaining maple syrup.
- 29After 15 minutes, remove the pie, place the lattice over the top and return to the oven. Bake for 15 more minutes.
- 30Allow pie to cool and bacon to re-crisp before cutting.
- 31Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a truly all-American dessert!