Spiced Figs of North Africa
How to Make Spiced Figs of North Africa
- 1Trim off the tough little stalk at the top of each fig. Put the figs into a large bowl,
- 2boil the kettle, then make up 500ml of tea, using the tea bag. Leave it to brew for two to three minutes.
- 3Remove the tea bag and pour the hot tea over the figs. Leave to soak until the tea has cooled down to room temperature.
- 4Drain the liquid into a saucepan and add the sugar, citrus zest and spices.
Bring to a simmer and cook for about five minutes, until lightly syrupy.
- 5Pour over the figs and leave to cool completely. Serve chilled as a pudding, or at room temperature as an accompaniment to roast meat (in which case you may want to hold back a little of the syrup).