Irish Coffee Sundaes with Caramel Whiskey Sauce an
- 1 large
- egg white
- 1/2 tsp
- instant coffee granules, crushed
- 1 Tbsp
- caraway, anise or fennel seeds
- 1 pinch
- 1 c
- walnut pieces (3 1/2 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/4 c
- 6 Tbsp
- irish whiskey
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 pt
- good-quality coffee ice cream
FOR COFFEE NUT CRISP
FOR SAUCE AND SUNDAE'S
How to Make Irish Coffee Sundaes with Caramel Whiskey Sauce an
- 1For Coffee Nut Crisp:
- 2Preheat oven to 325°F with rack in middle. Line a rimmed sheet pan with a nonstick baking liner, or line it with foil and lightly oil foil.
- 3Whisk egg white with sugar, coffee powder, and salt in a bowl until blended. Stir in walnuts until coated. Spread mixture into a 10- by 8-inch rectangle in pan.
- 4Bake until crisp is dry to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack to cool completely.
- 5Loosen crisp with a metal spatula and break into small pieces.
- 6For Sauce and Sundaes:
- 7Bring sugar and water to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil without stirring, but washing down any sugar crystals with a brush dipped in cold water, until syrup begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
Continue to boil, swirling pan occasionally, until syrup is a deep golden caramel.
- 8Remove pan from heat and carefully add whiskey, cream, and salt (mixture will bubble up and steam and caramel will harden).
- 9Return pan to heat and simmer, stirring, until caramel is dissolved and sauce is smooth. Cool to warm.
- 10Serve sauce over scoops of coffee ice cream then sprinkle with walnut crisp.
Crisp can be made 4 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature. (Watch out, though; it’s so delicious, you will be hard-pressed to resist devouring all of it before your guests arrive!)
Sauce can be made 4 days ahead and chilled, covered. Rewarm to serve. Any leftover sauce will keep, chilled, at least 1 week