El Chico Sopapiallas
How to Make El Chico Sopapiallas
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add shorting and cut in like for a pie crust.
- Gradually add cold water. Mix just enough to hold together. Remove from bowl and on a floured surface knead until smooth.
- Cover and let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll out on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thick and cut into 3 inch squares.
- Drop sopapillas into a deep fryer 1 or 2 at a time, when they surface fan with the hot oil until the dough begins to rise.
- Turn the sopapillas over. When the sopapillas are light golden brown, remove and drain on paper towels or paper bag.
- Serve with honey.