Empanadas de la Manzana ( Apple Empanadas)
FOR THE DOUGH
3 tspbaking powder
·oil or shortening for frying
FOR APPLE FILLING
4 lbapples, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
1 craisins, softened in warm water and drained
1 tsplemon juice
How to Make Empanadas de la Manzana ( Apple Empanadas)
- FOR THE DOUGH:
Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and a pinch of salt together.
Cut in the lard with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg and add 3/4 cup of water, and then add that into the flour mixture and knead until dough forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 4-inch circles for small empanadas, 5-inch for medium ones or 6-inch for large ones.
- FOR THE FILLING:
Bring 1 cup of water to a simmer in a shallow pan. Add in apples and cinnamon and simmer until apples are fork-tender and water is evaporated. Add more water if necessary.
- In a small saucepan mix together sugar, lemon juice and 1/8 cup of water. Begin to warm over low heat, stirring constantly.
Slowly bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. If you have a thermometer, bring the sugar to about 335 degrees, when it is a dark gold color and remove from heat, remember to keep stirring!
- Quickly stir in cooked apples and softened raisins. Keep the filling over low heat if it begins to harden.
- FILLING AND COOKING THE EMPANADAS:
Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of the dough circle for small empanadas, 2 tablespoons for medium and 3 tablespoons for large.
- Fold dough over to make a filled half circle and use a fork to press the edges together. Refrigerate uncooked empanadas for 3 hours.
- Fry in 350 degree oil for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown.