So I decided the occasion called for some sort-of-s’mores.
And thus, these S’mores Bars were born. What is sort-of-camping, you ask?
Well, it’s basically reaping the benefits of camping, minus actually having to pitch a tent and spend the night. With the bugs.
Some friends who were actually going to be camping invited a bunch of others to come hang for the evening at the campsite. We made a fantastic gourmet dinner around the campfire, then once we started to get tired, we headed home to sleep in our soft (bug-free) beds
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
8 to 10whole graham crackers (enough to cover the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan)
1 1/4 cgranulated sugar
3/4 cplus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 call-purpose flour
S'MORES TOPPING INGREDIENTS
·hershey's bars (broken into small pieces)
1 largehershey bar
How to Make S’mores Bars
- To Make The Brownies:
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Then line the bottom of the pan with tightly-packed graham crackers in a single layer. Set aside.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Set the mixture aside until it cools to room temperature. (You can pop it in the fridge to speed up this process.)
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended.
- Add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula.
- Spread evenly in the baking pan on top of the graham crackers. (Since this is a thick batter, I found that it worked well to drop the dough in large tablespoons all over the graham crackers, and then smooth those out with a spoon to form an even layer of brownie batter.)
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove pan and sprinkle generously with mini marshmallows.
- Turn oven to broil, then return the pan to the oven and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the marshmallows poof up and JUST barely begin to turn golden
- Please watch very carefully at this point, or else the marshmallows can burn or even catch fire.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with Hershey's bar pieces and Golden Graham's.
- Then drizzle with additional melted chocolate if desired. Let cool, then cut and serve.
- To make the melted chocolate:
Add a crumbled Hershey's bar to a microwave-proof bowl. Heat in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted.
- If the chocolate is too thick, add in a few teaspoons of shortening to thin it out.
- Drizzle with a fork over the s'mores bars.