Robicelli's Coquito Cupcake
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
FOR THE CUPCAKES
12 Tbspunsalted butter
1 largeegg white
·zest of 2 limes
3/4 ccoconut milk
1/4 fldark rum
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 tspkosher salt
2 call-purpose flour
1 3/4 csugar
2 tspbaking powder
FOR THE MILK SOAK
114-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
113 1/2-ounce can coconut milk
1/3 cdark rum
FOR THE COCONUT LIME BUTTERCREAM
1 1/4 cunsweetened coconut
·zest of 3 limes
·your favorite french buttercream or american frosting
How to Make Robicelli's Coquito Cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with 24 baking cups.
- Melt the butter in a microwave at 60 percent power for 11/2 to 2 minutes. Keep the butter warm—do not allow it to sit and cool off.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and egg white on medium-low for 2 minutes until light yellow and lightly foamy.
- Add the lime zest.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium-high
- Pour the warm butter into the eggs slowly, so that the mixture tempers and the eggs do not scramble.
- Once the butter is added, reduce the speed to medium-low.
- With the mixer running, add the coconut milk, rum, vanilla, and salt. Mix for 1 minute until well combined.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, and baking powder and add to the batter. Mix on medium until just combined, 10 to 20 seconds.
- Remove the bowl and paddle from the mixer and use the paddle to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, ensuring that everything is well mixed.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared baking cups, filling them two thirds of the way.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- The cupcakes are done when the centers spring back when you touch them.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the coconut milk soak. Set up a baking sheet with a wire rack.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes. (Leave the oven on for the coconut.)
- Take the cupcakes out of the pan and place face up on the wire rack. Using a fork, dock each cupcake three times.
- Spoon 11/2 teaspoons of the milk soak onto each cupcake. Let cool completely.
- For the Milk Soak: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, and rum.
- Microwave on high heat for 1 minute to thin out the sweetened condensed milk. Using a whisk, mix until well combined.
- For the Coconut Lime Buttercream: Place the coconut on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes to toast, stirring occasionally to ensure even browning.
- Remove the coconut from the oven. Immediately add the lime zest and stir. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the French buttercream as directed or American frosting. Add half of the coconut lime mixture to the buttercream and beat until well incorporated.
- To assemble cupcakes: Fill a pastry bag fitted with a fluted tip with the coconut lime buttercream and pipe onto each coquito soaked cupcake.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with the remaining toasted coconut mixture