Robicelli's Coquito Cupcake
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 12 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 4 large
- 1 large
- egg white
- zest of 2 limes
- 3/4 c
- coconut milk
- 1/4 fl
- dark rum
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 2 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 c
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 13 1/2-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/3 c
- dark rum
- 1 1/4 c
- unsweetened coconut
- zest of 3 limes
- your favorite french buttercream or american frosting
FOR THE CUPCAKES
FOR THE MILK SOAK
FOR THE COCONUT LIME BUTTERCREAM
How to Make Robicelli's Coquito Cupcake
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with 24 baking cups.
- 2Melt the butter in a microwave at 60 percent power for 11/2 to 2 minutes. Keep the butter warm—do not allow it to sit and cool off.
- 3In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and egg white on medium-low for 2 minutes until light yellow and lightly foamy.
- 4Add the lime zest.
- 5Increase the mixer speed to medium-high
- 6Pour the warm butter into the eggs slowly, so that the mixture tempers and the eggs do not scramble.
- 7Once the butter is added, reduce the speed to medium-low.
- 8With the mixer running, add the coconut milk, rum, vanilla, and salt. Mix for 1 minute until well combined.
- 9Sift together the flour, sugar, and baking powder and add to the batter. Mix on medium until just combined, 10 to 20 seconds.
- 10Remove the bowl and paddle from the mixer and use the paddle to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, ensuring that everything is well mixed.
- 11Scoop the batter into the prepared baking cups, filling them two thirds of the way.
- 12Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- 13The cupcakes are done when the centers spring back when you touch them.
- 14While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the coconut milk soak. Set up a baking sheet with a wire rack.
- 15Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes. (Leave the oven on for the coconut.)
- 16Take the cupcakes out of the pan and place face up on the wire rack. Using a fork, dock each cupcake three times.
- 17Spoon 11/2 teaspoons of the milk soak onto each cupcake. Let cool completely.
- 18For the Milk Soak: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, and rum.
- 19Microwave on high heat for 1 minute to thin out the sweetened condensed milk. Using a whisk, mix until well combined.
- 20For the Coconut Lime Buttercream: Place the coconut on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes to toast, stirring occasionally to ensure even browning.
- 21Remove the coconut from the oven. Immediately add the lime zest and stir. Set aside to cool.
- 22Prepare the French buttercream as directed or American frosting. Add half of the coconut lime mixture to the buttercream and beat until well incorporated.
- 23To assemble cupcakes: Fill a pastry bag fitted with a fluted tip with the coconut lime buttercream and pipe onto each coquito soaked cupcake.
- 24Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with the remaining toasted coconut mixture