Apple Dapple Cake (with caramel sauce)
1 cvegetable oil
2 tsppure vanilla extract
2 tspcinnamon, ground
3 cself-rising flour
1 cchopped pecans or walnuts
3 cpeeled, chopped apples or pears (any type apples work well)
HOT CARAMEL SAUCE:
1 cbrown sugar
How to Make Apple Dapple Cake (with caramel sauce)
- Peel and chop apples or pears into small pieces and set aside. Chop the nuts and set aside. (I like to use Gala apples or green pears. They both have just enough firmness without being too soft.)
- Whisk together the oil, eggs and sugar in large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla and cinnamon.
Next whisk in the flour a cup at a time until smooth. Batter will get thick.
- Fold in the chopped apples or pears and nuts with a wooden spoon or spatula. Pour the batter into a heavily greased and floured bundnt or tube pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until tests done.
- When cake is nearly done, make the caramel sauce.
In a small boiler on the stove, melt the stick of butter and stir in brown sugar til smooth then add the milk. Stir with a whisk while cooking to break up any lumps. Bring sauce to a rolling boil and cook for 3 minutes only. Set aside.
- Remove cake from oven and let stand a minute or two to allow it to pull away from the sides of the pan a little. Pour the hot caramel sauce over the cake while in the pan, around the edges to the outside and middle and then just over the bottom.
Allow the cake to rest in the pan for 2 hours or longer. The sauce will absorb into the cake.
Turn the cake out onto a plate, slice and serve.
Goes great with vanilla ice cream!
There won't be much sauce on the top of the cake but you won't miss it I promise!