Almond Sponge Tea Cake
I have been asked by several members to post my almond cake recipe. So here it is! I hope you find it delicious, and enjoy it too!
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
1 cfine blanched almond flour
3 Tbsppotato starch (can substitute corn starch in equal amount for potato starch)
¾ cgranulated sugar, i use a finely granulated baking sugar, but regular works
1 tsppure vanilla extract, (a good quality adds to the flavor of cake)
INGREDIENTS FOR ORANGE GLAZE
1/3 cconfectioner’s sugar, or icing sugar [ ? cp.]
1 Tbspfresh squeezed orange juice
½ tspgrated orange peel
2 Tbspsliced almonds, optional
How to Make Almond Sponge Tea Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom of an 8-inch spring form pan with parchment paper.
- Stir together the almond flour and potato starch. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the egg yolks until lightened. Add 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the vanilla. Beat on medium speed until the mixture is foamy and falls from the whip in thick ribbons.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Beat until the egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture. Fold in the almond flour mixture.
Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cake springs back quickly when touched lightly.
- Cool completely on a wire rack in the pan.
- While the cake cools, make the Orange Glaze.
Whisk together the powdered sugar, orange juice and zest.
- Use a fork to drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Sprinkle it with the sliced almonds if desired.
- This tender, moist sponge cake can be used in so many ways. Serve it plain with a dusting of powdered sugar. Split it in half and fill with rich chocolate ganache for a special birthday. Or serve it with cream and fresh berries, as the picture above.
For more variety, make chocolate ganache for the top, and fill it with pastry cream for a Boston Cream PIe.
For a Victorian Sponge, split, and fill it with whipped cream and preserves, your favorite flavor, ( raspberry, or blackberry it good! If desired, strain out the seeds)
For a simple cake, spoon a pastry cream (or vanilla pudding, soft), and fresh strawberries.
Layer slices of cake, fruit and pudding or whipped cream to make a simple trifle.