- 1/4 c
- all-purpose flour
- 18 oz
- roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough (or use your favorite sugar cookie recipe which is better and you'll get more cookies)
- egg yolks
- 2 tsp
- food coloring
How to Make Puzzle Cookies
- 1In a medium bowl knead flour into sugar cookie dough.
Divide dough into 6 (or more) portions.
- 2On an ungreased cookie sheet, roll each portion into a 5-inch square.
Note: It's easier to use the counter or whatever you normally roll dough on.
- 3Press a well-floured 3- to 4-inch Halloween cookie cutter into the square (use smaller cutters, if desired).
Carefully remove cookie cutter without removing dough.
- 4Using a table knife, cut outside portion of square into large puzzle pieces.
- 5In a small mixing bowl beat egg yolks and water.
Divide mixture among 3 or 4 small bowls.
- 6In each bowl, add 2 to 3 drops of liquid food coloring or desired amount of paste food coloring in desired color; mix well.
- 7Brush dough puzzle pieces with different colors of egg yolk mixture.
Apply to cookie dough with small clean paintbrush.
If mixture thickens while standing, stir in water, one drop at a time.
- 8Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just start to brown and centers are set.
- 9While still warm, carefully recut pieces with the knife.
Trim edges as needed.
Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool completely.