Maple-Spice Cookie Squares with Mayonnaise Icing
Very nice to have a couple with a hot cup of coffee or tea on a frosty morning, or as an afternoon pick-me-up.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. allspice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise (yup, trust me on this one)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. maple extract
- 1 tbsp. water (more or less to get consistency desired)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
How to Make Maple-Spice Cookie Squares with Mayonnaise Icing
- 1Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease and flour a 9” x 13” baking dish; set aside.
- 2Mix first 7 ingredients and turn into prepared baking dish; smooth and press down gently with back of spoon.
- 3Bake for 25 minutes till brown. It will rise slightly and then fall when removed from oven. Set on wire rack.
- 4While this is baking – prepare your icing, by mixing all icing ingredients (except walnuts) together until well blended.
- 5Drizzle/spread on the icing while the bottom layer is still hot. Sprinkle on walnut pieces, if using. Allow to cool, cut into squares and enjoy.