Jan Hagel Cookies (Dutch Holiday)
How to Make Jan Hagel Cookies (Dutch Holiday)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cream shortening, add, sugar, egg yolk, cream well.
- Add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients gradually.
- Knead dough a bit and then divide into two equal portions.
- Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
- Using your hands, spread the dough into an even layer on the sheets. (I use a rolling pin at the end to smooth it out.)
- Brush with egg white diluted with a little water. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 20 minutes, 30 for thicker cookies. Cut on diagonal to create diamond shaped cookies within minutes of removing from oven.