Christmas Kismet Cookies
A beloved friend gave me this recipe. She gave the little story of making these on Christmas Eve to put under your pillow so that you dream of your destiny, your one true love. So guess what's going into this tradition. Can't wait for more nieces to come about.
1 3/4 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking soda
14 Tbspunsalted butter
3/4 cpacked dark brown sugar
2 tspvanilla extract
1 largeegg yoke
2 crolled oats
3/4 cshredded coconut
1 1/2 cdried cranberries
3/4 cchopped macadamia nuts, toasted (optional)
How to Make Christmas Kismet Cookies
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl: set aside.
- Heat 10 tablespoons of butter in 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is a dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1-3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat,using heat proof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heat proof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into hot butter until completely melted.
- Add both sugars, salt and vanilla to bowl with butter, whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and egg yoke, whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of whisking and resting 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth and shiny. *Yes, it's painstaking but don't skip this step!
- Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in rolled oats, coconut, dried cranberries and macadamia nuts, giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
- Drop by spoonfuls on tray's. Bake 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10-14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.
- Sleep with them under your pillow on Christmas Eve and dream of your one true love.