Butter Pecan Cookies
1/2 cunsalted butter
1/2 cbrown sugar such as demerara, or to taste
1 cunbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 tspground himalayan sea salt
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 cchopped pecans, plus 12 halves for garnish
1/4 cgranulated sugar, for dipping, or as needed
How to Make Butter Pecan Cookies
- In a bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter until soft. Add brown sugar and process for 2 minutes. Meantime, in a mixing bowl, combine flour with salt; whisk until well blended.
- Add half of flour mixture to butter mixture and process on low speed until somewhat mixed. Add the remaining flour and process again until well incorporated. While processing, add vanilla extract.
- Add chopped pecans and process until nuts are evenly distributed. Transfer dough to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap making sure it touches the dough and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Form 12 little balls and place on a cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a measuring cup or a glass, dip in granulated sugar and flatten the balls. Place one half pecan per cookie pressing gently.
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet half way thru cooking. Remove from the heat and let rest cookies on the sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them on a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 12 cookies