Frozen cream cheese brownies from The Fat Witch Ba
New Yorkers love their cream cheese, whether it's baked into graham cracker crust of cheesecake and drizzled with cherry syrup or smeared atop a deli bagel and layered with lox. For an added twist, freeze the pieces of this brownie before serving. It helps the cream cheese to set and makes them a bit less sticky. Be sure to use block style cream cheese as opposed to whipped. Allow to come to room temperature slowly. Don't be tempted to speed things up in the microwave.source unknown
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, one stick
- 1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips, 12 ounces
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- four large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
How to Make Frozen cream cheese brownies from The Fat Witch Ba
- 1grease a 9 x 9" baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350°.
Melt the butter and chocolate in a small pan over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Set aside to cool.
- 2Beat the cream cheese and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Beat in one egg and set the mixture aside.
- 3Place the remaining 1 1/4 cups of sugar in a large bowl and beat in the remaining three eggs, one at a time until smooth. Add the vanilla and chocolate mixture and mix until well blended.
- 4Measure the flour and salt and then sift together directly into the chocolate batter. Mix the batter gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains
- 5spread three quarters of the chocolate batter evenly into prepared baking pan. Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over the top of the chocolate layer in the pan. Then gently pour the remaining chocolate batter over the top of the cream cheese layer, spreading evenly with a spatula.
- 6Dip a rounded edged knife in the pan and lift straight up , creating a marbled effect in the batter. Repeat to create a pattern, either random or in rows.
- 7Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter on it.
Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 1/2 hours. Freeze brownies in the pan for 45 minutes. Wrap any uneaten pieces with plastic or foil and return to the freezer. Makes 12 to 16 brownies.