Nana's Homemade Hard Candy
How to Make Nana's Homemade Hard Candy
- Sprinkle cookie sheet with powdered sugar and set aside
- Combine sugar syrup and water in a saucepan and continuously stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue to cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reaches 290 degrees. (Between 34 and 45 minutes)
- Remove from heat and add food color and oil or extract. (if using oils do NOT inhale over the pot while adding the oil. it is very strong and can take your breathe away)
- Pour mixture onto prepared cookie sheet and allow to cool completely. Once completely cooled lay a clean towel over top of sheet and break candy into pieces by taping with a hammer. Sprinkle candy again with powdered sugar
- If you are making several flavors and colors like we did, after all the flavors are broken into pieces mix them together and put into candy dishes or bowls for a tasty beautiful stained glass effect.
- These make beautiful favors for parties and showers.