Blue Ribbon Recipe
This fudge recipe is well worth the added effort! Don't let the few extra steps deter you - This is some of the creamiest, most delicious fudge you'll ever taste. Oh boy! The Test Kitchen
How to Make Chocolate Fudge
- 1. Line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil; butter the foil.
- 2.In a large heavy sauce pan stir in the sugar, cocoa powder and 1/8 tsp of salt. Mix well. Gently stir in milk with a big wooden spoon (make sure to use wooden spoon).
- 3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil.
- 4.Boil with out stirring, to 234 degrees F. on Candy thermometer (or until a tad of Syrup, when dropped in a glass of very cold water forms a very soft ball which flattens when removed from water.) The bulb of Candy thermometer should NOT rest on bottom of pan. This process should take 20 - 30 minutes. Keep rechecking until a soft ball forms in the cold water.
- 5.Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla, DO NOT STIR.
- 6. Cool at room temperature,to 110 degrees or lukewarm, this could take 2 hours or more. (Sweet ANTICIPATION) Do Not Stir !!
- 7.Beat fudge with a wooden spoon or until it thickens and looses some of it's gloss. It can take 15 - 20 minutes. This is why Jeanette waited for me to visit before cooking Fudge..a tag partner to beat the fudge. It looks more like frosting instead of a thick syrup when it's ready.
- 8. Quickly spread onto prepared pan; cool.
- 9. Cut into squares. Can use a warm knife that has been dipped in hot water and dried off to cut easier.
- 10. Wrap loosely in foil and place in refrigerator.
Except the "one for you and one for me" pieces we headed to bed with.