Salted Caramel Brownies
Diane Hopson Smith
I found a recipe or 2 online and played with the ingredients and came up with this spectacular brownie that has met all my cravings!!! Only a few changes; one was the addition of caramelized milk and I used brown sugar karo instead of light karo. Brown sugar karo just sounded right to me.
inspired from Bake for Happy Kids Blog. What a fitting name don't you think? Enjoy!
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Sweet and salty at its best! This recipe is rather labor intensive, but the decadent result is so worth it. The Test Kitchen
- 1 can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk, caramelized
- 1 c
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar corn syrup (can use light corn syrup)
- 1/4 c
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1 tsp
- fleur de sel
- 1/4 c
- sour cream
- 1 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- sea salt
- 2 Tbsp
- dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 11 oz
- quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 c
- unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- firmly packed light brown sugar
- eggs, room temperatrue
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp
- fleur de sel (this is a coarse salt, see note below) if unable to find, use a coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp
- coarse sugar
- note: check these places to order the fleur de sel: spicesage.com, iherb.com, www.williams-sonoma.com, www.amazon.com, www.igourmet.com
PREP TIME CAN VARY DEPENDING ON HOW YOU DECIDE TO DO THE CARAMEL. IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 2 1/2 HOURS TO CARAMELIZE THE CONDENSED MILK. I DO THIS A DAY AHEAD.
How to Make Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1NOTE: Fleur de Sel is a rare and expensive form of sea salt that is harvested in parts of France. The name fleur de sel is from the French for "flower of salt."
- 2Caramelize the sweetened condensed milk by immersing a closed can of sweetended condensed milk on its side in a pot of water and bring to a boil.
Simmer or light boil for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, topping off with water as needed. NOTE: Be careful and don’t allow water to dry out; can could explode.
Remove from heat and cool thoroughly before opening. DO NOT open the can while its still hot. The condensed milk should be thick and a nice caramel color.
You can do this a day ahead.
- 3Combine caramelized milk, sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium sauce pan. Heat over a medium/high heat, stirring continuously until it reaches a deep amber color about 20 minutes. It will also be pretty thick. Remove from heat and slowly stir in heavy cream and then add Fleur de Sel. Whisk in sour cream; set aside to cool.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare 9 x 13-inch baking pan with bakers choice spray or butter. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Lightly spray parchment paper with bakers choice or lightly butter; set aside.
- 5In a medium bowl; whisk together flour, salt and cocoa powder; set aside.
- 6Place chocolate and butter in bowl of double boiler. Set over simmering water, stirring occassionally until completely mealted and combined. Turn heat off and leave bowl over hot water; add both sugar and brown sugar. Whisk until completely combined. Remove bowl from hot water. it should be room temperature. If not, allow to cool a few minutes.
- 7When chocolate is at room temperature; add three eggs and whisk just until combined. Add remaining two eggs and whisk just until combine. Add vanilla and stir until combined being care to not overbeat batter at this point or you will have a dry brownie.
- 9Spread 1/2 of the brownie mixture in bottom of prepared pan. In a zig zag fashion, drizzle/pour caramel over brownie mixture (this mixture is thick), taking care to not allow the caramel to touch sides of pan as it will burn. Spread evenly over brownie mixture, again ensuring caramel does not touch pan. Drop heaping spoonfuls of remaining brownie mixture over caramel mixture; spread evenly over caramel mixture to edges of pan.
- 10Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Top will begin to look like it's drying out a little around the edges when done. Remove from oven. Sprinkle top of brownies with 1 1/2 tsp Fleur de Sel and 1 tsp coarse sugar.
- 11Allow browines to completely cool before cutting. Store wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days.