As a little girl, I would whip together a bowl of fresh strawberries from our garden with some homemade extra rich whipped-cream and let me tell you, it was nothing less than heaven having a party in my mouth. Then a few months ago I came across a strawberry shortcake recipe that definitely caught my attention. After some tweaks of my own, I was able to be reunited with the little girl inside of me who had enjoyed a sweet strawberry and whipped-cream luxery a few years back. This recipe is definitely worth trying and sharing with friends and family...it's nothing less than the "perfect" treat.
2) In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt and the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.
3) In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, vanilla/almond extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.
4) Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).
5) Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.
1) Slice the angel food cake, using a serrated knife, horizontally into 3 equal layers.
For the custard:
1) Mix together cream cheese, condensed milk, and whipped topping in a bowl; set aside.
For the glaze:
1) In a medium bowl, mix together sugar and gelatin; follow the directions on the carton of the gelatin (jell-o) and add the correct amount of water. Cool. Fold in strawberries.
1) Place 1 layer of cake in a large clear bowl. Top with a layer of glaze, followed by a layer of custard mixture. Repeat layering in this order for remaining cake, glaze and custard. Top cake with 3 whole fresh strawberries and fresh mint leaves or anything else of your choice.