Mom's Turtle Cake
The hardest part of this recipe is unwrapping all those caramels.
- german chocolate cake mix
- 14 oz. package kraft caramels (50 caramels)
- 1/2 c
- evaporated milk (small can)
- 1 stick
- 1 c
- chocolate chips
- 1 c
- chopped nuts
How to Make Mom's Turtle Cake
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. If using a dark pan, heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Mix cake according to package directions. Pour half the batter (2 cups) in a 9 x 13 greased and floured pan. (I use Pam Baking Spray.) Bake for 20 minutes.
- 3While that is baking, put caramels, margarine, and milk in a sauce pan and heat, stirring, on top of stove until caramels are melted.
- 4When the caramel mixture is cool but spreadable, pour over the cake that was baked. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Add remaining cake dough and bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted only to about 1/2" (so it doesn't go down into the caramel mixture).
- 5Frost it with Betty Crocker (or other brand) Milk Chocolate Frosting. Store lightly covered.