A not a lot of work recipe, but is very good and very moist.
- 3 c
- all purpose flour
- tsp baking soda
- tsp salt
- 2 c
- tsp ground cinnamon
- large eggs, beaten
- cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2
- tsp vanilla
- 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 3/4
- cup ripe mashed bananas
- cup fine chopped pecans or your choice walnuts
How to Make Hummingbird Cake
- 1Combine first 5 ingredients in large mixing bowl.Add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened, DO NOT BEAT.
- 2Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup fine chopped pecans or walnuts and bananas. Mix well.
Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9 inch round cakepans.( Okay to use large oblong cake pan.) I like at least 2 layers. Delicious either way.
- 3Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or till toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- 4CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1/2 cup softened butter
8 oz softened cream cheese
one 16 oz pkg. powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
Cream butter and cream cheese. Gradually add pow. sugar, beating till light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Makes enough for one 3 layer cake.
- 5May sprinkle favorite chopped nuts on icing, or place pecan or walnut halves on top of cake.