Fran's mud cake
Fran is my mum's best friend. She has worked as a caterer and her brother is a chef who has worked in kitchens all over the world. They share and swap recipes and this is one which they both use as their "go to" dessert cake. Top with ganache or serve "naked" with whipped cream, a dusting of cocoa powder and chopped strawberries or a berry compote.
I am posting here as I misplaced the original and had to ask for it again.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
250 gunsalted butter, cut into small cubes (8.8 oz)
200 ggood quality dark chocolate (7 oz)
1 1/4 chot water
1 cplain flour
1/2 cself raising flour
1/4 ccocoa powder
2eggs at room temp.
How to Make Fran's mud cake
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a heavy based medium sized saucepan over a medium/low heat. Use a metal spoon and stir until melted and combined.
- Add the sugar and water and cook until the sugar dissolves (keep stirring while this happens). Do not let boil. Cool until "blood temperature". This will take about 30 - 60 minutes.
While waiting- Preheat oven to 170oC (365oF). Grease a large 24cm round tin and line well (9.5 inch).
- Sift the flours and add to the pot and stir into the cooled chocolate mix. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well again.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake for 60 minutes. A skewer should come out with mostly clean with some small pin heads of batter on the skewer. Do not over cook.
- Cool in the tin for a full 30 minutes. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack. When cold, ice or serve.
This cake can be made ahead by up to 2 days and covered in foil until needed.