*I always line my pans with parchment paper (you can even cut up shopping bags to size)
*Use milk with lemon in substitute for buttermilk
*Freeze cakes for better frosting/decorating
*Add 1 extra egg for increased durability
*Remember, less is more with mixing your cake mix. The less you mix it, the better the texture.
*Bring ALL your ingredients to room temperature to prevent "shocking" your cake.
★★★★★ 2 votes5
3/4 coil (vegetable or canola)
2eggs (add 1 additional for increased durability)
2/3 ccocoa powder, unsweetened
2/3 cboiling water
2 1/4 cflour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
3/4 cbrown sugar
How to Make Choco-Lover's Cake
- Grease 9x14 pan. combine boiling water and cocoa and set aside to cool for 10 mins.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla. Add cocoa mixture.
- Mix dry ingredients except sugars in a large bowl.
- Mix oil, eggs, and sugars in medium bowl until creamy. You should now have three bowls of mixtures.
- Begin mixing half of each mixture together lightly. Then incorporate remaining mixtures. Beat just until combined, it's ok if it looks curdled/lumpy.
- Place batter in pan and drop on counter to release any additional air bubbles because that makes for improper baking. Place in oven with a small oven-proof dish of water to allow even baking and level cake. Bake for 40 mins.
- Cool cake on wire rack AWAY from oven. Biggest mistake people make is cooling on top of stove. Don't even let it rest in the pan on top of the stove before flipping it out onto a wrack.