Apple Ginger Streusel Coffee Cake
Recipe and photo adapted from Fine Cooking.
1/3 cbrown sugar, packed
1/4 cunsalted butter
1/3 cfinely chopped walnuts
1 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1/4 cfinely chopped crytallized ginger
6 Tbspunsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cdark brown sugar, packed
1medium granny smith or golden delicious apple, chopped coarse
How to Make Apple Ginger Streusel Coffee Cake
- STREUSEL: Blend the brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, flour, and butter with your fingers or pastry blender until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs.
Mix in the walnuts and refrigerate until ready to use.
- CAKE: Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Stir in the crystallized ginger and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
Gradually add the sugars, continuing to beat until very light with an electric mixer.
Add the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next.
- Alternately stir in the flour mixture and the buttermilk, until the batter is just mixed.
DON'T OVERBEAT or your cake will be tough.
Gently stir in the chopped apple.
- Pour half the batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan.
Sprinkle with 1/3 rd of the streusel.
Pour in the remaining batter and top with the remaining streusel.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.; then remove the cake.
Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
This cake can also be made in a 9 X 13 inch pan.