The oil must be very hot to ensure quick frying. If the oil is not hot enough, the fried cakes will be greasy and heavy.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/8 cflour
1 1/4 tspbaking powder
1 Tbspvegetable shortening
2 coil for frying
·sugar, or cinnamon sugar (garnish)
How to Make Fried Cakes
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix.
- Then add in the butter and shortening, mix until well blended. (I used my fingers)
- Gradually add the milk, stirring until a rough ball forms. (you don't want the dough to be too wet or too dry)
Knead gently until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
- Cut the dough into 5 even pieces and shape into balls.
Flatten each ball into a disc 1/4 inch thick and poke a hole in the center of each disc with your finger.
- Please Note: For best results, fry in separate batches until they are golden brown in color.
You will need an inch of oil in your pan for frying. Heat the oil and add one or two of the cakes, (the oil should sizzles when the dough is added). Turn once.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar while still hot. Best eaten warm.