TEX-MEX STREET BREAKFAST TACO (Sallye)
This recipe is straight from my quirky Tex-Mex brain, and has been through many iterations before I decided to post it. It is a wonderful meal unto itself for a lazy weekend morning.
Even though the list of ingredients seems long, it is actually a quick meal to prepare, especially if you keep chopped onions and peppers in your freezer.
Bonus: It's easy to half or double the recipe.
Try it, I think it will become one of your go-to recipes.
8 to 12 ozcooked chorizo or breakfast sausage, crumbled
4 to 8 ozbutton mushrooms
1 mediumred or white onion
1 mediumgreen or red bell pepper
1 or 2 mediumjalapeno or hatch peppers,
8 ozfrozen whole kernel corn
2 Tbspoil or butter
1/3 bunchfresh cilantro, leaves only
2 tspsea salt
1 tspfresh ground black pepper
1 tspchili powder
1/2 tspground cumin (optional)
6 to 12 largetortillas, flour or corn
·grated mexican blend cheese
How to Make TEX-MEX STREET BREAKFAST TACO (Sallye)
- Cook crumbled chorizo or breakfast sausage over medium heat. When cooked, drain and set aside.
- Clean mushrooms with damp cloth.
- Cut bell pepper and jalapenos into quarters and remove the core, seeds and membrane
- Cut onions into quarters and peel
- Wash and drain cilantro; remove stems keeping only the leaves. Set aside.
- Coarsely dice the mushroom, pepper, and onions either by hand or in your food processor
- Add oil or butter to a large heavy skillet (cast iron is perfect) over medium low heat. When oil is shimmering or butter is foaming, add the mushrooms, corn, bell and jalapeno peppers and onions and cook until tender (about 5 minutes) but not brown. Stir often with wooden spoon to avoid burning.
- While veggies are cooking, break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add the water and briskly whisk until frothy.
- When veggies have reached the tender stage, pour the eggs over them and stir with wooden spoon to blend them together.
- Add salt, pepper, cilantro leaves, chili powder and cumin to egg mixture and continue to stir with wooden spoon.
- When eggs are cooked to your desired taste, remove from heat and mix the crumbled sausage into the egg mixture.
- Prepare tortillas:
Option 1 - Place up to 4 each on paper plate and cover with paper towel - microwave on high for about 20 seconds
Option 2 - Place tortillas on hot griddle and cook for about 30 to 60 seconds per side
- The best way to serve is to give each person a plate and let them build their own.
- Be sure and furnish plenty of napkins.