6 slicethick cut bacon
6 slicecanadian bacon
1/2 cchopped onion
1/2 cchopped green bell pepper
1 pkgscalloped potatoes***
2 cboiling water
1/2 tspsea salt
2 Tbspchopped pimiento (optional)
How to Make BACON LOVERS CASSEROLE (SALLYE)
- Preheat oven to 400º F
Chop onion and bell pepper and set aside
- Place heavy skillet over medium heat, and fry bacon until crisp.
Remove bacon from pan and place on paper towel.
- Pour out most of bacon grease, then in same pan pan fry Canadian bacon until light brown on both sides.
Remove from pan and place on paper towel.
- In same pan, saute onion and bell peppers until tender, but not browned (about 5 minutes)
- Place potatoes and sauce mix in heavy saucepan.
***YOU CAN FIND THE POTATOES PACKAGES IN THE SECTION WITH THE INSTANT POTATOES. I USUALLY MAKE MY OWN, BUT BETTY CROCKER OR KNORRS ARE GOOD QUALITY
Add water, milk, and salt and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Turn heat down to simmer and cook potatoes for about 5 minutes.
- Stir crumbled bacon, onion, pepper and pimiento into potatoes.
- Remove potatoes from heat.
Pour potato mixture into greased 9" round or square square baking dish, spreading evenly into dish..
- Arrange Canadian bacon pieces on top of potatoes.
- Bake at 400º F for 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- NOTE: You can substitute ham slices for Canadian bacon.