Mediterranean Olive Bread
2 1/4 tspactive dry yeast
1 clukewarm water (between 105-110ºf)
3 cbread flour
1 Tbspdried rosemary, chopped
1 tspgarlic powder
1 tspaleppo pepper
1/2 tspground himalayan sea salt
3 Tbspolive oil, plus more for bowl, top of dough and cast iron pan
1/2 cmanzanilla stuffed green olive, sliced
1/2 cblack olives, sliced
How to Make Mediterranean Olive Bread
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add yeast, water and honey. Stir and let it sit for 10 minutes. Start the oven at 350ºF for 1 ½ to 2 minutes and then shut it off. It will be the best warm and draft-free spot to place the dough to rise later.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine bread flour, rosemary, garlic powder, Aleppo pepper and sea salt; whisk until well blended and set aside.
- Back to the stand mixer; add oil and the flour mixture; (reserve 1 cup of flour mixture on the side). With the dough hook attachment, on speed 2, process for 2 minutes. Increase to speed 3 and add 1 tbsp. at a time of the flour mixture to help to release the dough from the sides of the bowl. When it releases, increase to speed 4 and knead for 4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle on some of the remaining flour mixture and knead a little then stretch to form a rectangle shape. Add ¼ cup each of green and black olives. Knead again, trying to get all the olives in before adding the rest (if it’s sticky or wet, add more flour). When the dough is workable enough, form a ball by folding under – if there are leftover olives on the work surface, stick them on. Place dough in a lightly greased large bowl and coat it with oil from the bowl. Lightly drizzle oil over the dough, cover and transfer to the warm oven (heat off). Let it rise until it triples in size, about 2 hours
- Two hours later, remove from the oven and transfer it back to a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle on some of the remaining flour mixture, fold it over and knead briefly. Pull the dough under forming a ball again. Place in a lightly oiled (bottom and sides) cast iron pan, cover and transfer to the unheated oven. Let it rise until it doubles in size.
- 60 minutes later, remove from the oven and set the temperature to 350ºF. Drizzle a little bit more oil over the dough and gently spread it so it covers the surface. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake until lightly golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let the bread cool off before slicing, about 30 minutes.