Easy Kaiser Rolls
6 cunbleached all purpose flour
2 Tbspinstant yeast or 2 envelopes of yeast bloomed
2 cwarm water
1/3 cvegetable, canola, or olive oil
FOR BRUSHING ON TOP OF ROLLS
How to Make Easy Kaiser Rolls
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar and un dissolved yeast. (If using instant yeast if you are using regular bloomed yeast wait to add till step 2) and combine well.
- Add Water and Oil and (bloomed yeast if you are using it) Using a dough hook or hands combine throughly, Then knead about 5 to 10 minutes adding flour if necessary, until if forms a nice soft ball.
- Grease a large bowl with non stick spray and place dough in bowl, flipping it a couple of times to cover with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel and let rise, for about an hour or until doubled in size. ( If my house is cold in the winter I usually put it on a heating pad on low.)
- At this point you want to preheat your oven to 400 degrees, you want it nice and HOT! Remove, pound down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. divide into 12 pieces, if you are using a scale about 4 and a quarter ounces a piece. Shape each piece into a ball. With very sharp knife cut a 1/4 in deep cross on tops of rolls. Place cut side down onto a greased cookie sheet and 2 inches apart. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Whip together egg white and water. Flip balls over and brush egg white and water mixture. Add poppy seeds or sesame seeds at this time.
- Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Place on wire racks to cool. If you would like to you can cut this recipe in half.
- If you would like to add herbs to this bread mix about a Tablespoon of dried herbs into the flour mixture. I would add oregano, and basil, when I am serving pizza burgers, I would add a little thyme and rubbed sage, if I am going to make left over turkey sandwiches from Thanksgiving. Use your imagination!!!!