Home Style Rosemary Potato Bread
I love this bread. I hope you do too.
2 mediumpotatoes, peeled, boiled in water, no salt, measure out 1 1/2 cups, dry measure
1/2 cmilk, warm
2 1/2 Tbspunsalted butter, melted
1egg, ex-large, beaten
1 Tbspfresh rosemary, finely chopped, measured after chopping
2 tspkosher salt
1/4 cwarm water
1 Tbspdry yeast, i use a rapid rise
4 1/4 cunbleached all purpose flour, measurement is approximate
·unsalted butter, softened, to grease loaf pans
·additional flour to dust a board and to sprinkle on loaf tops before baking
How to Make Home Style Rosemary Potato Bread
- To make the mashed potato, peel and large dice 2 medium potatoes (I use russets). Cover with plain, unsalted water. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Drain completely and mash with a hand masher. Measure 1 1/2 cups in a dry measure cup. Place in a bowl. Cool a bit.
- To the potatoes, add the milk, melted butter, honey, 1 ex-large egg, beaten, chopped rosemary, and salt. Stir well to mix.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place 1/4 cup warm water, the tsp of sugar, and the dry yeast. Let proof for 7 minutes. It should be puffy and bubbly.
- Add all but about 3/4 cup of the flour ( about 3 1/2 cups total). Pour the potato liquid mixture over flour. Use the dough hook attachment to mix well. The dough will be sticky.
- Using the reserved flour ( the 3/4 cup), add small amounts, while keeping the mixer running on low speed. Continue for several minutes, until you notice the dough is sticking less to the bottom of the bowl, and starting to come together. You may not need all the reserved flour,....or you may need a little extra. Note: the dough will still be a bit sticky.
- Turn dough out, using a metal spoon, to a large bowl that is well buttered. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled. Time will depend on how warm your ingredients are. It should take 60 - 75 minutes.
- Punch down doubled dough and cut in half with a sharp knife. Using a lightly floured board, lightly knead and shape both balls of dough in to a loaf shape.
- Place loaf shaped dough in 2 buttered regular sized loaf pans. Using a sharp knife or scissors, slash the top of loaves lengthwise. Dust the tops with flour. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size. This should take 50 - 60 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake loaves in 375 degree oven (350 for convection). Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove loaves from oven and remove from pans immediately. Tap the bottoms to see if they sound hollow. A hollow sound will let you know they are done. If not hollow sounding, return to the oven for a few more minutes.