SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK CORN BREAD
**** Instructions on how to season an iron skillet is at the bottom of this recipe ****
2 cself-rising corn meal
2 mediumegg, slightly beaten with a fork
1/2 cbutter flavor shortening
1/2 stickbutter, unsalted, melted and set aside
How to Make SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK CORN BREAD
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 450 degrees F.
Using a papertowel, grease the 10 inch cast iron skillet (that has been seasoned) really well. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, Bisquick, eggs, buttermilk, and crisco. Stir well with wisk If mixture is too stiff, add 1/2 cup of water and stir well.
- Pour mixture at once into prepared Iron skillet and place in preheated oven.
Cook about 25 minutes or, until cornbread in medium golden brown color.
- Remove from oven, pour the 1/2 cup of butter over cornbread while still in pan. Give it a couple of minutes to soak in. Have a plate the cornbread will fit on near by. Carefully turn cornbread out and onto plate. Cut in small wedges and serve immediately.
- HOW TO SEASON AN IRON SKILLET: You will need an iron skillet, a box of lard, heavy paper towels, and an oven.
If NEW skillet, make sure you wash it with hot water and a mild detergent to remove factory anti rust coating. Dry well by heating on top of stove on med/ high. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. fold paper towel into fourths. Place a dollop of grease in the skillet (about 1/4 cup for 10 " skillet). With paper towel coat interior of skillet; exterior down to bottom edge and handle. DO NOT coat bottom of pan.
- Place in oven that is set on 200 degrees and preheated. Set timer for 3 hours. When oven cuts off, let pan cool inside of oven.
- When cooled, wipe it down with another papertowel, leaving a thin film. Wipe clean after using with a paper towel. Do not put into Dishwasher !
** Re season when necessary.