Homemade Bacon-Onion Croutons
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
You can vary the seasoning ingredients to your liking. Sometimes I add a crushed garlic clove (instead of garlic powder) to the oils to get a deeper garlicky flavor.
Store croutons in an airtight container in a cool place or freeze them.
How to Make Homemade Bacon-Onion Croutons
- Cut crusts from bread.
- Dice bread into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the bacon drippings with onion powder and garlic powder.
- Add bread cubes; stir until well coated.
- Transfer bread cubes to a rimmed baking sheet and spread in a single layer.
- Bake in a 300F oven until lightly browned and crisp (25 to 30 minutes). Cool.
- Makes about two cups.
I start checking after about 17 minutes so that the croutons don't turn too dark.