Easy Rustic Bread
How to Make Easy Rustic Bread
- measure flour using the scoop and sweep method keeping the flour loose
- add the yeast to one side of the bowl and the salt on the other
- add the warm water, using a wooden spoon just mix until it comes together. The dough will be little wet and shaggy
- cover bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for abut 2 hours. It should double in size. The risen dough will be wobblily. You don't have to bake right away. This bread taste better when left in the refrigerator for 8 or more hours and the flavor develops. But in a bread emergency it can be baked the same day.
- after the dough has been rising for 11/2 hours heat the oven to 450. I use a Dutch oven to bake this bread but a regular sheet pan can be used.
- Let the oven get good and hot. place a sheet of parchment paper on the counter and sprinkle with flour dump the risen dough onto the paper and using a bench scraper shape the dough into a circle keeping the seam side down.
- take the Dutch oven out of the oven, be careful it will be very hot and lift the paper with the dough and drop into the hot pot, cover with hot lid and bake for 30 minutes, take the lid off and bake another 15 minutes to brown the top.
- Note: if using a sheet pan, you don't have to heat up the pan but you do need to place another pan of water in the oven to create steam
- After baking let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.