Whole`Grain Vegan Cranberry~Nut Muffins
Recipe from King Arthur
2 1/4 cwhite whole wheat flour
1 cbrown sugar
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspground cinnamon
1 cdried cranberries
1/2 cdiced walnuts or pecans, optional
1 tspvanilla extract
1/2 cvegtable oil
1 1/2 ctomato juice or blended vegetable juice (e.g. v8)
How to Make Whole`Grain Vegan Cranberry~Nut Muffins
- Preheat oven 400 DF Lightly grease and flour the wells of a muffin pan, or line the pan with paper liners, and grease the liners.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients, including the cranberries and nuts.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, vegetable oil, and tomato juice.
- Sir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; don't over mix, stir just until everything is moistened.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each nearly full. A level to (slightly heaped) muffin scoop of batter for each muffin works well here.
- Sprinkle the tops with coarse white sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes, until they've domed nicely and they're lightly browned around the edges.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and transfer them to a rack to cool. These muffins keep extremely well. Wrap individually; or set on a plate, and wrap loosely with plastic. They will stay fresh and moist for up to a week.
Yield 12 muffins