Rev BJ Friley
Carb Grams Per Serving: 25
2 cregular rolled oats
3/4 cwhole wheat flour
1 tspbaking powder
3/4 tspapple pie spice or ground cinnamon
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 crefrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 2 lightly beaten eggs
1 largeripe banana, mashed
2 Tbspbutter, melted
1/4 cregular rolled oats
1/2 tspapple pie spice or ground cinnamon
How to Make Banana-Oat Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- Place the 2 cups oats in a food processor or blender.
- Cover and process or blend until finely ground.
- Transfer finely ground oats to a large bowl.
- Stir in whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, the 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice, the baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs.
- Whisk in banana, the 2 Tablespoons melted butter, and the vanilla.
- Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- For topping - in a small bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup oats and the 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1 Tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture on top of muffin batter.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins from muffin cups.
- Serve warm.