Whole Wheat Bread with Caraway and Anise
It's always satisfying to turn out a lovely "artisan" loaf that never seems to last 24 hrs at most.
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 1/4 tsp
- dry yeast
- 1 c
- warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 tsp
- large egg
- 2 1/3 c
- all-purpose flour, divided (about 10 1/2 ounces)
- 1 c
- whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp
- caraway seeds, divided
- 1/2 tsp
- cooking spray
How to Make Whole Wheat Bread with Caraway and Anise
- 1Dissolve honey and yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
Combine 1 teaspoon water and egg, stirring well with a whisk.
- 2Place 1 tablespoon egg mixture in a small bowl.
Cover and chill.
Add remaining egg mixture to yeast mixture.
- 3Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
Add 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, and aniseed to yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough.
- 4Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky).
- 5Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.
Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- 6Punch the dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
Divide dough in half and working with one portion at a time, roll each portion into a 12-inch rope on a lightly floured surface.
Twist ropes together, and pinch ends to seal.
Place dough in an 8-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
Cover and let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°.
Uncover dough and brush reserved egg mixture over loaf, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds.
Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until loaf is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped.
Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.