- 500 g
- plain flour
- 125 g
- granulated white sugar
- 100 ml
- sunflower oil
- 11 g
- dry instant yeast
- 8 g
- baking powder
- 1 Tbsp
- fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp
- anise seeds
- zest of 1 lemon
- 59 ml
- warm milk
- sesame seeds
- egg yolk
How to Make Algerian Kaak
- 1In a bowl or a Kitchen Aid, add the flour, the yeast, the baking powder and the sugar and start to knead.
- 2Add the eggs, one at a time and continue to knead.
Add the sunflower oil and continue to knead.
- 3Add the lemon zest the fennel seeds and the anise seeds and knead again.
- 4Slowly pour in the milk and knead until you obtain a sticky dough.
- 5Flour a clean surface and roll your dough into a long log.
- 6Cut into long sticks of 15 centimeters length and 3 centimeters wide then join the two ends to form a crown.
- 7Flour a cookie pan and add your crowns on the top and let rise for 1 hour.
- 8With a knife cut the edges of each crown be careful don’t cut the crown.
Brush the crowns with 1 egg yolk and sprinkle with a few sesame seeds.
- 9Preheat the oven to 180 C degrees and bake for 30 minutes or when the crowns are golden brown.
- 10Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes (the aroma is delicious).