9 cself rising flour, sifted (see **note)
3/4 cbutter flavored shortening
1 2/3 cmilk, whole or 2%
1 1/2 Tbspsalted butter for brushing tops
How to Make GRANDPA'S BISCUITS
- **NOTE: Not all 9 cups of flour will be incorporated into the biscuits. Approximately 3 cups will be left when finished. It will be reclaimed, and not go to waste, after the biscuits go into the oven. I recommend using White Lily brand self-rising white flour. If not available in your area, use the finest flour available.
- Place oven rack in center position. Preheat oven to 390 degrees F. Gather ingredients and utensils/equipment. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper, or freezer paper, on a flat work surface.
- "Cut in" flour, and dust top of dough with flour, until dough is no longer too sticky to be formed into a ball with hands.
- While biscuits are baking, place sifter in a clean bowl or over clean paper; pick up the flour-covered paper; empty remaining flour into sifter; shake and sift over bowl/paper until all that remains are bits of dough; discard dough bits; empty flour into airtight container, seal and reserve for another use.