Egg Plant - Quinoa Caviar
And there is no option for selecting more than one cooking method here, so I just selected roast (vegetables) but the quinoa cooks stove-top.
·1 medium, firm, purple eggplant
·2 red bell peppers, seeded
·1 large onion, peeled
·2 garlic cloves, peeled
·3 tbsp. olive oil
·1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
·½ tsp. black pepper
·1 tbsp. tomato paste
·2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
·1 cup black quinoa
·2 cups salted water
·1 tsp. olive oil
How to Make Egg Plant - Quinoa Caviar
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Cut the eggplant, bell pepper, and onion into 1-inch pieces. Toss them in a large bowl with the garlic, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Spread them on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft, tossing once while roasting.
- Meanwhile rinse, rinse, rinse the quinoa. This is not an optional step like in rice This rinsing process does two things – it removes bitterness which black quinoa often has, called saponin, as well as helps to eliminate the foaminess as the quinoa cooks.. Place quinoa is a good amount of water, stir it around with your hands and drain through a fine wire mesh strainer. Repeat twice more.
- Remove vegetables from oven after about 45 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature. Place vegetables and any remaining olive oil into food processor along with tomato paste and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Turn into mixing bowl and set aside.
- Stir well rinsed black quinoa into 2 cups boiling, salted water; add 1 tsp. olive oil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to stand covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir into pureed roasted vegetable mixture.
- Cover and store in refrigerator at least four hours for flavors to blend. Overnight is even better.
- To serve, spoon into serving bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro, parsley or arugula. Serve with raw vegetable crudités, crackers, toast points, or pita chips.