Irish Sausage Rolls
1 tspdried thyme
1/2 tspdried marjoram
1/2 tspdried basil
1/2 tspdried rosemary
1 tspdried parsley
1/2 tspdried sage
1/8 tspground black pepper
1 clovegarlic, minced
1 lblean ground pork
1 largeegg (beaten)
3 sheet(s)puff pastry, thawed
1 largeegg, beaten (for brushing pstry)
How to Make Irish Sausage Rolls
- Grind the herbs (thyme through pepper) in a spice/coffee grinder until a fine powder.
- Add the ground herbs and minced garlic to the breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the ground pork to the seasoned breadcrumbs and combine using your fingers. Add half of the beaten egg and mix thoroughly until the meat mixture begins to stick together. Add the excess egg to the second beaten egg for the egg wash.
- Using your hands roll the sausage, forming 4 cylindrical shapes about 3/4 inches thick and 10 inches long. Set meat aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Open a thawed puff pastry sheet on a floured surface. Cut into 3 strips about 3 inches wide and 10 inches long.
- Place a 10 inch piece of the pre-formed sausage meat on the pastry close to the edge. Roll the pastry around the meat, overlapping underneath by one inch.
- Cut the pastry roll into 6 pieces, then roll it back to brush the lower layer with egg wash. Re-roll and seal the lower seam. Repeat the procedure to form 18 sausage rolls.
- Lay the prepared sausage rolls on the baking tray in rows one inch apart. Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown on top. Cool the sausage rolls on a wire rack. Serve hot or cold as desired.