Apple Paste (Dulce de Manzana)
Chef Potpie (Laurel)
How to Make Apple Paste (Dulce de Manzana)
- Peel, core and chop the apples, placing them in a non-stick kettle containing the fresh lemon juice, tossing as you add each apple to prevent the apples from browning.
- Add 1/2 cup apple cider and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the apples are cooked through, smashing the apple pieces and cooking until you have a thick applesauce, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the applesauce into a blender or food processor and process until completely smooth, about a minute or so. Pour back into the cooking kettle.
- The puree will now have air incorporated into it and be very light in color. Over medium-low heat, cook this mixture, stirring every 2-3 minutes. The air will cook out and the mixture will come back to a translucent state.
- During this time, cut pieces of parchment to fit the bottom and sides of a standard loaf pan. Spray the loaf pan with cooking spray and adhere the parchment to the inside of it. Set aside.
- Keep cooking the mixture, stirring often. As it thickens you may want to use a splatter shield to protect yourself and your stove. It will take 2 hours or so to cook this mixture down to where it needs to be. It will eventually turn into a caramel-colored thick paste, and should be stirred every 2 minutes or so.
- To know when it is finally ready, put a small spoonful onto a plate. Put it in the refrigerator for 5-6 minutes. If it feels firm to the touch and when you push it with your finger, it detaches in one piece, it is ready.
- Pour the mixture into the waiting lined loaf pan, smooth the top and smack the pan a couple times on the countertop. Now cut a piece of parchment paper to fit nicely over the top of the paste, spray it with cooking spray and place it on top.
- Cover the pan with plastic and let the mixture sit in the fridge for a day at least.
- To serve: Whatever thickness or size you choose, cut a like-sized piece of room temperature Manchego cheese and place the slice of dulce de manzana on top. Now enjoy this delicacy that you have made. You are now in lush Northern Spain. Heavenly!