12herring filets in brine
1whole herring in brine
1 cdistilled white vinegar
1/2 cfinely granulated sugar
1/4 tspground allspice
1/2 tspground white pepper
1 largethinly sliced, onion
How to Make Herring Copenhagen
- Place herring in a large enamel or earthenware bowl. Add cold water to cover. Soak herring overnight to remove excess salt, changing water several times.
- Drain herring. Cut each filet crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Prepare whole herring in a similar manner. Place in a bowl.
- Place remaining ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pour most of the marinade over the herring pieces. Cover bowl and let marinate in refrigerator for 6 hours or longer.
- Place herring and marinade in mason jars and keep in refrigerator for further use.